Before you begin:
- Obtain a tablet to function as your Fresh KDS screen. Fresh KDS was built to run on iOS 10+ and Android 5.0+. If using an Android device, we recommend Samsung or Asus. (Note: Insignia and Digiland tablets do not work). See our list of supported iOS devices here.
- Ensure you have a strong and stable WiFi connection.
Note: Fresh KDS will not work if you are using your Talech device as a hotspot.
Step 1: Create a Fresh KDS Account
- Open https://beta.freshkds.com and click Sign Up in the top right corner.
- Enter your information on the following page and click Register.
- Confirm your account by opening the welcome message sent to the email address you used to sign up, and clicking the confirmation button. You will be redirected back to the Fresh KDS web portal to complete account setup.
- Enter your first location’s information (if you have multiple locations, don’t worry, you’ll be able to add additional locations once your account is setup) and click Next.
- Choose a subscription plan, select your POS system, and click Next.
- Enter payment information ( a valid debit or credit card is required) and click Submit.
- Congrats! You have now successfully completed the registration for Fresh KDS.
Step 2: Setup the Fresh KDS App
- Ensure that your tablet is connected to the same WiFi network as your Talech POS system.
- If you are using Fresh KDS on an iPad, download the app in the iOS App Store.
- If you're using Fresh KDS on an Android tablet, download app in Google Play.
- Open the Fresh KDS app, log in using your account credentials, follow the prompts and give the screen a name.
Step 3: Configure Fresh KDS as a Printer Station in Talech
- Ensure that your Fresh KDS tablet is connected to the same WiFi network as your Talech POS system.
- Log in to the Talech Register App using your employee passcode.
- Select Dashboard > Back Office > Settings > Printers
- Select Auto Detect to search for Fresh KDS devices on the same network.
Note: Do not set Fresh KDS as the Customer Receipt Printer. If Talech auto fills this field with an IP address, tap it and switch the selection to No Receipt Printer.
- Tap the line that shows the Fresh KDS device’s IP address to open the printer setup modal.
- Change the Printer Name so it can be easily identified.
- Under Printer Model change the value from KDS to SP700.
- Tap Categories and select the categories to route to this KDS device.
- Tap Advanced Printer Settings to access additional settings (optional):
Hide Server Name
One Item Per Line vs Grouped Items Per Line
Group Items on Order Ticket
- Tap Test Print to verify the KDS screen is connected.
- Tap Save to complete the printer station setup.
Note: You must configure each Fresh KDS screen as a printer station on every Talech device that sends orders to the kitchen.
Step 4: Place Your Fresh KDS Tablet in the Kitchen
- Set your Fresh KDS device in your kitchen wherever it works best for your team.
- Some of our customers place a device right on a prep station. Others find that mounting on the wall nearby with a waterproof casing is the best option.
Step 5: Train Your Staff
- Show your staff how to clear orders (simply tap an order to clear it - or tap an individual order item to clear just that item).
- Show your staff how to recall orders (it's easy - just tap the recall button at the top of the screen).
- Show your staff this video for a brief overview: Fresh KDS in Action
Step 6: Profit!
To view detailed analytics, log in into your Fresh KDS account in a browser. Average order volumes and ticket times are displayed on easy-to-read graphs for any specified date range.
Using this information can help you operate more efficiently, improve order consistency, and track/shorten ticket times - all of which will help make your customers happy and keep them coming back for more!